Milagres de Frei Galvão

Veja também em: PortuguêsPortuguês | EnglishEnglish | SpañolSpañol

Around 1810, the head man on a boat which was coming from Cuiabá, “tied up for the night at Potunduba, on the banks of the Tietê river” (in the county of Jaú), Manoel Portes, as he had whipped one of his crew, was mortally stabbed by this man. Feeling that his end was drawing close, Manoel Portes called out for Friar Galvão, so that he could make a confession.

His crew were amazed when the monk appeared suddenly at that desert area. He approached the dying man, heard his confession, listened to his last words, gave him absolution and then disappeared, leaving the crew bewildered.

At that same time, Friar Galvão was preaching in a church in São Paulo. He interrupted his sermon, asking for help to pray with him for the salvation of a dying soul who was far away. A chapel keeps the memory of this episode being a center of devotion to Friar Galvão.

In the city of Itu there was a freed slave who became sick. He made a vow to take to Friar Galvão “a pole full of chicken tied to it” if he got cured. He did.

So he set out to pay his religious debt, tying live chickens onto his rod.

During the journey, three of the birds escaped. He easily recuperated two of them. The third one ran away fast, irritating the old man who shouted out:

-Come back, you chicken of the devil!

At that very moment, the animal fell into a bush full of thorns and got caught. When the man arrived at the Friar’s house, he was all smiles, happy. The monk accepted all the chickens, less the one who had escaped: - “Because now it belonged to the devil!”.

On a farm far away from São Paulo, a woman was very sick from a hard birth. He called for Friar Galvão. Her husband ran to the Mosteiro da Luz, looking for the Friar who happened to be on his way to Rio de Janeiro.

When he reached home, he was surprised to find his wife freed from all her sicknesses. She was very thankful to Friar Galvão who had come during the night, heard her confession, then blessed a cup of water which she drank. That was enough to stabilize her condition and restore her health.

The husband took off for Rio de Janeiro to thank the monk. There the superior of the house informed him Friar Galvão had not stepped out of the house. Asked about this, Galvão replied: - “How it happened, I do not know, but I do know that on that night I was there”.

In Guaratinguetá, Friar Galvão had just begun his sermon when a big storm started forming. When they saw that they would be drenched by the storm, many of the faithful thought to run home. Reading their thoughts, the Friar said to stay, because nothing was going to happen to them. It turned out that the storm which attacked the whole city, did not fall on the square in front of the church, where “all could hear his talk which produced, as usual, great fruits for those who heard him”.